Present Simple



Present simple

We use the present simple to talk about actions we see as long term or permanent. It is a very common and very important tense.

Here, we are talking about regular actions or events.
�         They drive to the office every day.
�         She doesn't come here very often.
�         The news usually starts at 6.00 every evening.
�         Do you usually have bacon and eggs for breakfast?

Here, we are talking about facts.
�         We have two children.
�         Water freezes at 0� C or 32� F.
�         What does this expression mean?
�         The Thames flows through London.

Here, we are talking about future facts, usually found in a timetable or a chart.
�         Christmas Day falls on a Monday this year.
�         The plane leaves at 5.00 tomorrow morning.
�         Ramadan doesn't start for another 3 weeks.
�         Does the class begin at 10 or 11 this week?

Here, we are talking about our thoughts and feelings at the time of speaking. Although these feelings can be short-term, we use the present simple and not the present continuous.
�         They don't ever agree with us.
�         I think you are right.
�         She doesn't want you to do it.
�         Do you understand what I am trying to say.


Present simple or continuous

The Present Simple is used for:
�         regular actions or events
He plays tennis most weekends.


�         facts
The sun rises in the east.


�         facts known about the future
We leave at 8.30 next Monday


�         thoughts and feelings about the time of speaking
I don't feel very well.


The Present Continuous is used for:

�         the time of speaking ('now')
Shh, I'm trying to hear what they are saying .


�         things which are true at the moment but not always
We're looking for a new flat.


�         present plans for the future
We're having dinner with them next week .


Look at these examples :
�         I don't usually have cereals for breakfast but I'm having some this morning because there is nothing else.
�         I often cycle to work but I'm taking the car this morning because it's raining very hard.
�         I'm thinking about having my hair cut short but I don't think my husband will be very happy about it.
�         My parents live in Washington but I'm just visiting.

Note how, in all these examples, we use the present continuous to talk about events which are temporary/limited in time and the present simple to talk about events which are habits/permanent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aspis Addon, Guide Install Apis Kodi Addon Repo

The Kratos Addon - Guide Install The Kratos Kodi Addon Repo

Atlas Movies Addon, Guide Install Atlas Movies Kodi Addon Repo